Pet Safety: Holiday Precautions

Halloween has almost arrived and here in Kersey, Colorado leaves in a range of orange and red hues are falling from the sky to land among jack-o-lanterns and haunted decorations. Halloween is the first of the big holiday celebrations to come; the perfect time to brush up on pet safety. While some of our furry friends love this festive season just as much as us humans, others often find themselves in a bit of trouble. With so many new things – like candy and decorations – to explore, there are plenty of opportunities for your pet to get into trouble.

Candy and Sweets

From the overflowing bowls of Halloween candy to a delicious array of Christmas cookies, the upcoming months are full of sugary surprises. None of these human foods are good for pets, but dark chocolate especially should be avoided. Toxic to both dogs and cats, this human snack should be kept away from pets. Many sweets also contain xylitol, a component of non-sugar based sweeteners that is also toxic to cats and dogs.


As you take out and put away seasonal decorations, be sure to keep them out of reach of your pets. Especially with a young puppy or kitten, keep wires and electrical cords out of the way to avoid electrical shocks. Pay close attention to your pets and don’t leave them alone near open flames like jack-o-lanterns and seasonally scented candles.


All but the most social animals will get stressed at some point throughout the holiday season. Especially on Halloween night or during a big party, give your pet a chance to escape the noise and excitement in a separate room.

While many pet owners love to dress their furry friends in festive costumes, pay attention to your dog or cat’s reaction. Many animals do not like these outfits, which can cause them a lot of unnecessary stress. If your pet does enjoy dressing up and showing off, be sure to choose a safe costume that fits them well. Check for small pieces that can be chewed off and avoid any costumes that restrict movement, eye sight or hearing.

Accidents do happen, so call Powell Veterinary Service at 970-352-9164 if your pet seems ill or has eaten something that may be toxic.