Cats are fascinating creatures. They have quirky behaviors and odd physical traits that set them apart from the rest of the animal world. Perhaps that’s why cats are so popular. Dogs may be man’s best friend, but as far as numbers, cats have the edge. There are 73 million cats in the U.S., compared with 63 million dogs. Probably it’s all part of their plan to slowly take over the world. Here are some more interesting facts you can use to amaze your friends.
- Ailurophilia is defined as the love of cats. If you’re an ailurophile, you join a group that includes Abraham Lincoln, Earnest Hemingway, Ingrid Bergman, John Lennon, Edgar Allen Poe, Herman Goering and Mussolini.
- Cats are able to make more than 90 different sounds–most often when you’re trying to sleep in.
- Cats lack the ability to taste sweets because of the way their taste buds process sugar. That’s why cats prefer their cat food to be composed primarily of meat. And also why they’re so grumpy all the time.
- Your cat’s nose print is as unique as your fingerprints.
- Cats can move their ears 180 degrees because there are more than 30 different muscles controlling each ear. This directional hearing is why they can hear much better than us—and our dogs.
- Most cats are lactose intolerant, so no saucer of milk for your kitty.
- Most female cats are right-pawed, while most males favor their left.
- Cats sleep for 70% of their lives, and 50% of their waking hours are spent cleaning themselves. The rest they spend not giving a sh–.
- A majority of orange tabby cats are male, and most black cats are also male. But nearly all orange and black cats are female.
- Cats can drink salt water because their kidneys can excrete the salt. So your cat will outlive you if you are ever stranded together in a life raft at sea. And she will be smug about it.
- Cats have 24 more bones in their bodies than humans.
- House cats can run as fast as 31 miles per hour. That makes them faster than Usain Bolt.
- Cats cannot climb down from a tree facing downward because of the way their claws are designed. That’s why God created firemen.
- According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the largest domestic cat litter was 19 kittens. Poor mama!
- When cats rub against your leg, they are marking you as their territory with their scent glands. And you thought she was just giving you some love.
- Owning cats has been shown to be good for your health. Stroking a cat or having it sit in your lap can relieve stress and decrease the occurrence of high blood pressure and other illnesses.
So be good to your feline friends and treat them with the kindness they deserve. If you have any questions about your kitty’s health and welfare, call Powell Veterinary Services at 970-352-9164.